There's a problem, but we're fixing it

We're having problems with our phones at the moment, so unfortunately you won't be able to get through to us. Don't worry, if you need to make a claim you can still call us but for any other queries check out our FAQs or use our web chat service - it will pop up on your page. Don't forget, you can still get a quote online.

Driving advice

European driving advice

Mobile phones

If you contact us from your mobile phone, your service provider may charge you. You may also have to pay for the call if you ask someone to call you back. Your policy doesn’t cover the cost of these calls. It may be necessary to use a conventional landline phone in certain places if the mobile network is less stable than in the UK.

Proof of ownership

You’ll need to carry the original car registration document when driving in Europe as proof that you’re the owner of the vehicle. If this isn’t available, you’ll need to take a letter of authority from the owner and a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103) instead.

Driving licence

Car hire companies will ask for your original driving licence. If you hold a photo card licence you’ll need to take the paper counterpart as well. In some countries you’ll need to take an International Driving Permit as well as your driving licence. This isn’t required in EU member countries.

Credit card

A credit card must be available if the car hire benefit is used, as the car hire company will need to swipe the card as security.

European motorways and autoroutes

If you break down on a motorway or major public highway in certain parts of Europe, the police will answer the emergency telephone. They’ll then send a local recovery vehicle out to you. As very few of these recovery agents have links with UK motoring organisations, you may have to pay for this assistance on the spot. If you do, keep all receipts and send them to us on your return to the UK. We’ll then reimburse you for recovery and roadside repairs (except spare parts). But if the repair is made in a garage, the cost is not covered and you should pay the whole cost of the repair.

European member countries

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom

Get covered in Europe

With our Euro Plus annual cover, you’ll get both our
 5* rated UK cover and cover for Europe, with up to 40% off when you buy online.

Related articles

Driving in France

Read more
Driving in Germany

Read more
Driving in Europe checklist

Read more

European Breakdown cover

EU pic
Short-term European breakdown cover

For single trips or short breaks abroad.

Learn more Get a quote
Euro Plus

For complete peace of mind when traveling abroad multiple times within a year.

Learn more Get a quote

Only available for cars less than 16 years old